Memorial Presbyterian Church
P.O. Box 825 - 127 E. Willow St.- Cherokee, IA 51012 - 712-225-2637
The Presbyterian Church of Cherokee was organized on June 5, 1870 in the Brick School
House in "Old Cherokee" with nine members present. The sermon was given by Rev. Alex
M. Darly who served as pastor the next five years. Services were held in the McLean House
until 1873, when a frame building of two rooms was erected on West Main Street. In 1884,
at the dedication of a new addition, the name Memorial Presbyterian Church was adopted.
In 1909 the present site, at First and Willow Streets, was selected for a new church. This
building was erected and dedicated on November, 1911 by Rev. J.W. Bean. In 1962, Rev.
A.E. Goldhorn with the Planning Committee, selected plans for an Education Building,
including changes that made the former Sunday School room a part of the sanctuary.
Meet Our Pastor
Pastor Ethan Sayler serves as the 21st installed minister at
Memorial Presbyterian Church.
Pastor Ethan was raised in Augusta, Kansas and attended
Sterling College in Sterling, Kansas. He then earned his M.Div
from Princeton Theological Seminary in 2001.
Before coming to Cherokee, Ethan served at the First
Presbyterian Church in Alva, OK and Westminster Presbyterian
Church in Ottawa, KS. He is married and the father of four
Pastor Ethan believes the church, now more than ever before, is
being called to return to the Word of God. His hope is that
through the faithful study and preaching of the Word, hearts,
minds, and communities will be changed by the love and grace
of God Almighty, so that ultimately, we may glorify God and
enjoy Him forever.